Rutgers University Selects Xyratex’s ClusterStor™ 1500 HPC Storage Solution for Cost Effective Performance
Strong Early Adoption of ClusterStor™ 1500 Brings Leading-Edge Scale-Out Storage Technology to the Mid-Range of HPC and Big Data Storage Markets
Havant, UK – July 30, 2013 – Xyratex Ltd (Nasdaq: XRTX), a leading provider of data storage technology, today announced that its new ClusterStor™ 1500 solution has been selected by Rutgers University to support its growing High Performance Computing (HPC) needs.
“We chose the ClusterStor 1500 by Xyratex for its new HPC cluster, an Intel-based system using Infiniband, because it is a cost-effective, high-performing system from a vendor with significant experience implementing and supporting such systems,” said Don Smith, CIO of Rutgers University.
“Rutgers is the latest example of an organization that has realized the unique value of the ClusterStor 1500 and adopted it quickly,” said Ken Claffey, senior vice president & general manager of the ClusterStor business at Xyratex. “Departments at large organizations or medium-sized enterprises today need high-performing and scalable storage solutions that are easy to deploy and manage, cost-efficient and reliable even under demanding workloads. As companies of all sizes are increasingly utilizing complex simulation and modeling applications running on Linux-based compute clusters, traditional enterprise storage systems cannot meet the performance and scalability needs of these environments. We engineered and built the ClusterStor 1500 to bring the performance power of Lustre® to this growing market.”
ClusterStor 1500, launched in May, is the newest member of the ClusterStor family of scale-out HPC storage solutions that delivers break-through industry performance and efficiency. ClusterStor 1500 is available through Xyratex’s network of partners, and its features include:
- A unique architecture that brings together what were previously discrete server, network and storage platforms with their own separate software layers into a single integrated, modular, scale-out storage building block. This innovative approach enables the system to scale both performance and capacity while reducing administrative overhead.
- Reduced hardware complexity with increased reliability, availability and serviceability.
- The ability to scale performance from 1.25GB/s to 110GB/s and raw capacity from 42TB to 7.3PB.
- The Lustre file system, the industry’s most scalable and proven high performance open source parallel file system.
- Simplified deployment in hours, not weeks, allowing users to be productive and realize the value from their investment immediately.
- Proactive and comprehensive storage solution support, including assistance with setup, installation and performance optimization.
- ClusterStor Manager, a comprehensive system management application that consolidates management of the entire storage cluster infrastructure, RAID data protection layer, operating system and Lustre into a single-pane-of-glass, easy-to-use administrator interface.
Xyratex is a leading provider of data storage technology, including modular solutions for the enterprise data storage industry and hard disk drive (HDD) capital equipment for the HDD industry. Xyratex enterprise data storage platforms provide a range of advanced, scalable data storage solutions for the Original Equipment Manufacturer and High Performance Computing communities. As the largest capital equipment supplier to the HDD industry, Xyratex enables disk drive manufacturers and their component suppliers to meet today’s technology and productivity requirements. Xyratex has over 25 years of experience in research and development relating to disk drives, storage systems and manufacturing process technology.
Founded in 1994 in an MBO from IBM, and with headquarters in the United Kingdom, Xyratex has an established global base with R&D and operational facilities in North America, Asia and Europe.